My Dream Job
July 03, 2014
I have some idea of what my “dream job” would be like. I love software so it would have something to do with that. I also like working with smart, talented people so there would have to be some of those. Oh yeah, also I don’t like being micro-managed so there should be none of that. Then it hits me… I think I’m pretty close to my dream job now!
I work at a little company called Key Ingredient where we make a recipe web site. But calling Key Ingredient a recipe web site company is like calling Amazon a book store. We’re doing a ton of other interesting things.
So I’m just going to finish it out and make this my dream job. Here’s the plan:
- The company will fund training and conferences for the developers including me. All good devs love to learn about new cool stuff so we’re going to make that happen.
- Meetups and knowledge sharing - devs are encouraged to attend meetups and give talks about what they’re learned.
- Smart, talented people. It’s pretty simple here… hire smart people that can get things done.
- No micro-management. I don’t want to work in a micro-managed environment
so I refuse to micro-manage my folks. I’ve had the great privilege of
working for some incredible managers who I barely saw because they stayed
out of the way and let me do my thing. Here’s how we’re rolling:
- Languages, libraries, and tools - each development team picks their own. No mandates here.
Anyway, I’m just 9 months into this journey but it seems to be going well so far. I’ll keep you posted on how my dream job is going.